Saturday, April 21, 2007

YOUNG LION


YOUNG LION, originally uploaded by joewig.

Just wanted to be able to capture a photo of this young man. At the time I was in a hurry and not too concerned with getting a perfect shot (when I'm too conscious about "getting the shot" in this kind of environment, I end up missing the moment). This was at a protest rally. In retrospect, I should have spoken to him, but lunchtime was over and I had to get back to work.

I hadn't seen this "look" in over three decades. To watch history repeat itself was disconcerting. But I was in awe. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. No, it wasn't myself I was seeing, but the attitude of the 60's and 70's: let it all hang out.

So has he.

No comments:

I have been an avid people photographer for over 20 years. However, since spring 2006, I have turned to the thrill of shooting street photography. My passion for it has taken me to the sidewalks, parks, corners, alleys, subways (and even elevators) of New York City. I have chosen B&W as my preferred format as I find it more compelling to view my subjects. It is my hope that you will enjoy some of the images I've discovered as I continue to learn and grow as a street photography artist.