Friday, April 20, 2007

SEE YOU, NOT SEE YOU


SEE YOU, NOT SEE YOU, originally uploaded by joewig.

She had the deepest look in her eyes-- as though she wanted to see what I was doing, but not wanting me to know that she was looking.

I was discovered, but what I discovered was far more haunting than I would understand at the time. Looking at this image afresh I am pulled into it like a drowing man is pulled to inhale fresh air into his lungs. Did I actually take this picture? It looks so touchingly beautiful that I w0uld want to admire it as a work someone did so I can ooh and ahh, (but I took the shot and so I cannot.)

Amazing.

I come back to this image again to gaze and wonder what is it that I saw, but didn't see until I started seeing what I should have seen when I shot it.

Amazing.

No comments:

I have been an avid people photographer for over 20 years. However, since spring 2006, I have turned to the thrill of shooting street photography. My passion for it has taken me to the sidewalks, parks, corners, alleys, subways (and even elevators) of New York City. I have chosen B&W as my preferred format as I find it more compelling to view my subjects. It is my hope that you will enjoy some of the images I've discovered as I continue to learn and grow as a street photography artist.