Thursday, April 26, 2007

NO MORE LEFT (DARE TO CARE?)


NO MORE LEFT (DARE TO CARE?), originally uploaded by joewig.

As I was about to cross the street, I noticed a figure to my left. He was motionless. I wondered whether I should take a quick grab shot now that my lunchtime street shooting session was over and it was time to get back to my desk.

The traffic light changed and he hadn't moved. The light changed again and he remained in the same position.

On this day, I felt like he looked. I was dragging and tired. Why? I was having a bad week of shooting. The images I was getting didn’t have the depth I thought they should. Everything seemed so typically ordinary.

My woes were pathetic compared to his.

I decided to take a few shots. He suddenly sank further down to the ground, but he didn’t touch it. He popped back into this position. Twice. I crossed the street and looked back, trying to remember where I’d seen that behavior. Heroin addicts behave like this. What was his story?

I ultimately decided to show this image because his head’s facing down. He couldn’t possibly get any lower than he was. The only viable way out of this is up. I pray he finds it. I hope someone cares enough to help him get there.

No comments:

I have been an avid people photographer for over 20 years. However, since spring 2006, I have turned to the thrill of shooting street photography. My passion for it has taken me to the sidewalks, parks, corners, alleys, subways (and even elevators) of New York City. I have chosen B&W as my preferred format as I find it more compelling to view my subjects. It is my hope that you will enjoy some of the images I've discovered as I continue to learn and grow as a street photography artist.